LITERACY SOS Pembroke Hall High School Principal Reverend Claude Ellis is calling on the Government to redirect its resources into the primary and early childhood sectors to address educational gaps being identified in students at the secondary level. Ellis, whose school receives students reading several levels below grade seven, said if this is not done, some high schools may continue to function as remedial centres.
Former CARICOM leaders urge repeal of US exec order targeting Cuba’s fuel supply WESTERN BUREAU: Caribbean former heads of government have issued an extraordinary joint appeal condemning what they describe as a “catastrophic fuel blockade” against Cuba, warning that the island’s 11 million citizens face severe humanitarian consequences. In a statement released on Wednesday, the former leaders condemned a January 29 United States executive order targeting nations that supply oil to Cuba, arguing that the measure amounts to economic warfare and risks deepening an already fragile humanitarian situation.
More males report physical abuse by female partners in new survey A new survey co-published by the Mico Foundation and Jamaicans for Justice (JFJ) has highlighted the top three human rights violations reported in 10 Kingston communities as domestic violence, police violence and address-based employment denial or structural discrimination. The 2025 survey, dubbed Citizens’ Rights, Roles, Responsibilities and Practices,was conducted by Mico’s Institute of Technological and Educational Research and released yesterday at the institution.
Second deadly shooting in days deepens tension in Kgn East Tension is rising in several communities along the Mountain View Avenue corridor in East Kingston after weeks of deadly shootings, the latest of which occurred in broad daylight on Thursday. Police are investigating the killing of a man around 1:15 p.m. near a restaurant on the usually busy thoroughfare. He has been identified only as Robert and is said to have been employed at nearby Excelsior High School.
Culture shift needed to accept healthier diet, says Fray WESTERN BUREAU: Amid the discussions about the Government’s plan to impose a tax on sugary drink as part of its 2026-2027 Budget, Dr Delroy Fray, the clinical coordinator at the Western Regional Health Authority (WRHA), says Jamaicans will need a total cultural shift to accept dietary changes to mprove their health.
Hanover’s municipal building crumbling, stakeholders concerned WESTERN BUREAU: Amid mounting complaints from staff and councillors that the aging Hanover Municipal Corporation (HMC) administrative building is deteriorating around them, calls are growing for national intervention to address what has been described as a dangerously dilapidated structure. The renewed concern follows a troubling episode last year when employees labelled the facility a “sick working environment”. Several staff members reportedly fell ill after being exposed to mould found on the walls of multiple offices.
Tailor among 4,700 W’land residents receiving $787m in ROOFS grants WESTERN BUREAU: Seventy-three-year-old tailor Chensie Allen of Hudson Street in Savanna-la-Mar, Westmoreland, says the $500,000 he received under the Government’s ROOFS programme could not have come at a better time. “I really appreciate it a lot. This is a great help to me right now,” Allen told The Gleaner after the presentation ceremony at the Sean Lavery Faith Hall in Savanna-la-Mar on Thursday. Allen said he stayed inside his house during Hurricane Melissa last October to protect his sewing machines, the tools of his trade.
Witness tells court ‘Zugi’ was chased, shot on Roger Avenue A man yesterday gave chilling testimony in the Home Circuit Court about how George ‘Zugi’ Richards was chased down and shot repeatedly as he lay face down on Roger Avenue in Spanish Town, St Catherine, in September 2017. The witness, who said he had known Richards “from him small”, was testifying in the Clansman Gang trial involving reputed leader Tesha Miller and 24 other men. He told the court that about 9:30 p.m., he was near Roger Avenue and Fairview Boulevard when he heard what sounded like explosions coming from a bar at the intersection.
Mediation muddle At the completion of a court-ordered mediation in May last year, a judge at the Trelawny Parish Court dismissed four criminal charges laid against a businessman by two policemen who claimed he assaulted them. Rayon Bell was found not guilty of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, assaulting a constable, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct on May 26 last year after prosecutors offered no evidence against him, citing the “successful” mediation the Probation Office conducted between the businessman and the two policemen, according to court records seen by The Gleaner.
UWI doors open to med students in Cuba The University of the West Indies (UWI), Mona, says there has been no official communication or request to accept anxious Jamaican medical students in Cuba, but it has indicated that it can accommodate those wanting to return to Jamaica. Campus Registrar Dr Donovan Stanberry said the university’s MBBS undergraduate programme can accommodate 280 students per annum, but noted that it has remained undersubscribed over the last few years.
